> From: sebastian ssmoller <sebastian_(_dot_)_ssmoller_(_at_)_web_(_dot_)_de>
> Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:13:19 +0100
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile_(_at_)_freebsd_(_dot_)_org
> hi,
> i noticed that this sysctl flag is not longer supported. what should one
> use instead to handle different cpu speed when running battery ?

Use hw.acpi.cpu.thottle_state is the thing. It may be set to a value
between 1 and hw.acpi.cpu.throttle_max where throttle_max is full speed.

If you have a Centrino or P4-M, you can also save power by use of
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest. It can be set to 0-2 which enables "deeper sleep"
when the system is idle. Not all states are available on all
systems. The higher values will result in a longer time to wake up after
the CPU becomes idle, but will use less power.

Both of these have values in /etc/defaults/rc.conf, but I don't think
Nate has hooked those up, yet. At the moment you need to set them
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
E-mail: oberman_(_at_)_es_(_dot_)_net			Phone: +1 510 486-8634

Visit your host, monkey.org