Re: xdm autologin

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 04:34:29PM -0700, Bryan Irvine wrote:

> Is there a way to xdm to autologin?

No.

> I'd like to have a firewall  come up by itself into a restricted
> users desktop  (windowmaker or something low  overhead) and have
> it show a webpage with the status of the firewall.

You really don't want to do this. I mean, you really, really don't
want to do this.

> I  can configure  the GUI  part but  the key  is getting  xdm to
> autologin.

This falls squarely into the  category of giving a suicidal maniac
a length of rope. Put something like:

    su idiot -c "startx > /dev/console 2>&1" &

somewhere in  /etc/rc.local. You'll have  to have X  configured, a
user  called  ``idiot,''  and  something  appropriate  in  idiot's
~/xinitrc.

Cheers,

b&

--