Re: 3.4 install failed on my old 486 Compaq

François Chambaud wrote:

> Hello misc,
>
> I'm using OpenBSD since 2.9 on that firewall machine, and today I can't
> do an 3.4 install from floppy34.fs. I have not install the 3.3 version
> and I'm skipping directly from 3.2 to 3.4.
>
> Manually written, here is the dialog install :

> Do you want to use *all* of wd0 for OpenBSD [no] y
> Putting all of wd0 into an active OpenBSD MBR partition
> (type'A6')...uid 0  on /: file system full
> /: write failed, file system is full
> Memory fault
> done.

Whoa.  That sounds familiar...

> You will now create an OpenBSD disklabel...
> <snip>
> Initial label editor (enter '?' for help at any prompt)
> > a a
> offset: [0] 63
> uid 0 on /:file system full
>
> /:write failed, file system is full
> Memory fault
> ERROR: Unable to mount the root filesystem on wd0a
> ERROR: Unable to use wd0b for swap space
> You must reconfigure wd0.
>
> Do you want to use *all* of wd0 for OpenBSD [no] Enter
>
> Same results if I press the Enter key.
>
> I have also try a floppy34.fs from snapshots directory, and with it the
> system is crashing immediately. The snapshot was from 02/04/2004 (boot
> 2.05).
>
> I have also installed another drive with no partition on it with no more
> success.
>
> This machine is solid rock and is corresponding to my needs.
> I can't stay with the 3.2 release because it is no longer maintened.
>
> The CPU ship is real 486SX (33 MHz) and not a 486DX as specified.

That's your problem.
   http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq12.html#FPU

WHY it is coming up as a 486DX if it is really a 486SX is a mystery,
but the symptoms are dead-on for the "No FPU" error, so I'm very much
inclined to believe you, and not your dmesg.

> $ dmesg
> OpenBSD 3.2 (GENERIC) #1: Wed Oct  8 12:05:53 CEST 2003
>     root@firewall.chambaud.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
> cpu0: Intel 486DX (486-class)
> real mem  = 37335040 (36460K)

Good problem report, thanks!

Any possibility of swapping out the CPU for a real DX, DX2, DX4, or
similar?  If you do so, your problems will go away.

The ELF conversion of OpenBSD on 3.4 broke the FPU emulator code.
Only impacts 486SX and 80386 chips.

Nick.
--
http://www.holland-consulting.net