Re: HP300 install question.

In message <199805012355.RAA17676@mroe.cs.colorado.edu>
	so spake "Stan Brown" (stanb):

> 	I am trying to install OpenBSD on a HP 9000/340. I have downloaded the
> 	SYS_UBOOT, and miniroot images. I have managed to get the machine to
> 	load the SYS_UBOOT image. But now I don't know what to do.
>
> 	How do I get the system to load the miniroot?

The 2.3 install docs are a bit better in this respect:
-- The following section is specific for loading SYS_UBOOT via the network. --

If you wish to load the SYS_UBOOT program via the network, you need to
either have another OpenBSD system on the network, or something else
capable of running the rbootd(8) program.  Source code may be found
under usr.sbin/rbootd in the OpenBSD source tree, but requires the
Berkeley Packet Filter (bpf) in order to function.  It may be possible to
use HP-UX, but is not recommended (or documented here).

First of all, configure your rbootd to handle boot requests from the
client.  NOTE: OpenBSD's `rbootd' is slightly different from HP-UX's.
To configure OpenBSD's `rbootd', create a file called `/etc/rbootd.conf'
and place in it an entry like the following:

        08:00:09:04:AA:33       SYS_UBOOT       # thunder-egg

The first column is the ethernet address of the client's network interface.
The second column is the program to send to the client, and anything after
the `#' is a comment.  Once you have rbootd running, copy the SYS_UBOOT
program to the /usr/mdec/rbootd directory on your server.  If this
directory doesn't exist already, you will need to create it.

Next, add the client to /etc/ethers on your server.  For example:

        08:00:09:04:AA:33       thunder-egg

Then start `rarpd' on your server; `rarpd -a' should do the trick.

Finally, you need to add an entry in /etc/bootparams.  For example:

        thunder-egg     root=myserver:/export/hp300

Where myserver is the name of your server machine and `/export/hp300'
is the directory that holds the ramdisk kernel image (`bsd.rd').
Now run `rpc.bootparamd' and make sure that this directory is NFS
exported to the client.  See the manual pages on your server system
if you need more information about exporting filesystems.  If you
run into problems you may wish to run `rpc.bootparamd' with the `-d'
flag on your server to get extra debugging information.

You are now ready to load SYS_UBOOT.  During the client's self-test cycle,
press the space bar.  Shortly, you should see a menu of possible boot
options appear.  Select the option corresponding to SYS_UBOOT.
SYS_UBOOT will then load and prompt you for a kernel name.  NFS file
names should not have a leading '/' prepended to them, simply use `bsd.rd'.

------------------ End of network boot-specific section ----------------------