Re: hooray!

>From:        Michael Shalayeff, mickey@lucifier.dial-up.user.akula.net
>
>Making, drinking tea and reading an opus magnum from J. Joseph Max Katz:
>> Howdy folks!
>re
>
>> I got the bastard PC working!! I took Blair Sadewitz's advice
>> and I did a nice "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rwd0c" to cream the NT code
>> on the disk. I then followed Toby's instructions by turning translation
>> ON and updated the machine code with fdisk, and reinstalled the box.
>> It now boots off the IDE disk without a problem.
>well, i'd say a good disk format is always the right step to start with
>maybe add that to the INSTALL files, how good is that?

Well, at least this dd command should make it into the FAQ, under "Install
Problems". It helps in weird cases, e.g. a 9GB drive partitioned with an
old DOS fdisk (which recognizes around 600 MB only), or a drive from a
Sparc being reused in a PC. It even solves the problem I saw once, that
an old disklabel was reused even after the disk had been repartitioned
with (OpenBSD-) fdisk.

"dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rwd0c bs=64k"

is an accelerated version, isn't it?

-hgw