Re: "3 fingers"

"Todd C. Miller" <Todd.Miller@courtesan.com> wrote:
> > What's dubious about it?
>
> It allows someone to shutdown the machine w/o being superuser.
> That's bad IMNSHO.

They can do that anyway. They can pull the plug, or press the reset button,
or take an axe to the machine. A lack of a 'proper' way to do it merely
forces them to do it a bad way. If someone is at the console they can do
whatever they feel like, and trying to stop them is just pointless.

> > > You should run the shutdown command.
> >
> > And what if you can't?
>
> Then as far as I'm converned you should not.

I meant you can't because the machine is hung, not because you're not
allowed to.

> It will probably happen, as a fair number of people seem to want it.
> There is a PCVT_CTRL_ALT_DEL kernel option but it may or may not actually
> do a clean shutdown.

        if((key == 76) && ctrl_down && (meta_down||altgr_down))
                cpu_reset();

Not very helpful ;-).

Cheers

Jon