proper escaping sequence in crontab?

I want my daily/weekly cron files to spool to disk as email is disabled.
So I tried the following command but it's getting chopped off right
after the + (plus) sign. Why is this happening and how can I fix it? If
I put any character between the + and % it works but that character
shows up in the filename which is not what I want.

/bin/sh /etc/daily 2>&1 > /root/daily.`date "+%y%m%d"`

which cron says becomes the following when executed:
( /bin/sh /etc/daily 2>&1 > /root/daily.`date "+)