Re: speed of ffs (OpenBSD / 4.3BSD)

On Sun, May 17, 1998 at 02:27:44AM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:

> The Linux buffer cache has NO ordering constraints at all, and hence
> it is obviously faster at doing directory operations.  What does this
> mean?  It means that if you crash that machine at the right time, your
> filesystem will be utterly fucked.

With regards to design decisions, I remember Linus saying:
`fsck should NOT be considered as a good substitute for regular
backups'... that was when they removed the i-node clearing code
for rm.

You can't always have your cake and eat it too. :-)

What annoys me somewhat there is that considering the differing
design decisions, we can't easily benchmark OpenBSD FFS vs.
linux ext2fs, and see whether there's any `secure' improvement
we missed, can we ?
--
	Marc Espie