Re: Support and Upgrade Questions

The the Adaptec 2940 is well-supported in OpenBSD. As of right now,
SMP is in the "wish-list" stage. The T1 to my house should be
installed within the next 10 days. Once I get things fully configured,
my Dual P][ 233Mhz machine will be "on da net" and I'll let folks who
are serious about SMP work on "fast.cpio.net".

In terms of time to develop SMP, depending on the number of people
doing the work and amount of "real time" they get to develop it
may take a considerable amount of time before it is fully functional
and "out of beta."

Linux does do SMP in both its Sparc and Intel ports. VA Reseach sells
Linux boxes with 4 and eight processors in them, so I assume it will
do SMP on all those processors.

OpenBSD will run the Linux and FreeBSD copies of Quake and Doom VIA
its binary emulation package. I don't know what other games you're
expecting to play under Unix-- most haven't been ported. "xmame"
did compile under OpenBSD 2.2, if you're into arcade emulators.
Other network games that work under Unix include the classics
"netris" and icq/chess.

If you're plaing games that require ActiveX/DirectX you'll be
forced into running Windows, as I know of NO WAY to do ActiveX or
DirectX on ANY *nix. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Good Luck, and please tell me what you find!

-Jon

/  J. Joseph Max Katz                  jkatz@darpanet.net        /
/  Chief Executive Officer             http://www.cpio.net       /
/  CPIO Networks                       (408) 569-7092            /
/  "Hardware designers stick to the ASICs..."        -Gale       /
/  "I thought you were in r00t! so I hated you!"     -Claret     /