terminal reset ?

Hey People!

Tiny question: How can I 'reset' a screwed up terminal (ttyCn).

(for instance, in irc with a ctrl-l my terminal is totally kaputt..bork as
hell.. Searched/looked/digged etc but didn't find any solution. Probably a
simple one. (?))

(and when experimenting and such it _sometimes_ happens its screwed up
again...all high ascii characters and such on the prompt and stuff (except
for uppercase and numbers).

Am using the default vt220 entry. (tried others but no luck with the reset
binary)

Thanks,

Bas Oude Nijeweme.