OpenBSD 2.3 released

	      ___                 ___  ___  ___      ___     ____
	     | . | ___  ___ ._ _ | . >/ __>| . \    /_, >   <__ /
	     `___'|  _/\___.|_|_||___/<___/|___/    /___|<_><___/
	          |_|

- OpenBSD 2.3 RELEASED -------------------------------------------------

May 19, 1998.

We are quite pleased to announce that the new OpenBSD 2.3 release is
now available.  OpenBSD 2.3 continues along the path our developers
started on more than two years ago by providing significant
improvements in nearly all areas of the system:

- Hardware support is improved		(http://www.OpenBSD.org/plat.html)
- Security is strengthened even more	(http://www.OpenBSD.org/security.html)
- More cryptography integrated		(http://www.OpenBSD.org/crypto.html)
- Thousands of other bugs fixed		(http://www.OpenBSD.org/plus.html)
- A greatly improved "ports" tree	(http://www.OpenBSD.org/ports.html)

Those who wish to see a list of what has changed between OpenBSD 2.2 and
OpenBSD 2.3 can look at
	http://www.OpenBSD.org/plus.html#22
This is a summary of the most important changes we made to OpenBSD, but
even then, it is a very very long list.

This is our fourth OpenBSD release, and the third release which is
available on our own CDROM.  Our releases have been spaced six months
apart, and we plan on continuing that timing.

- SECURITY -------------------------------------------------------------

Between the creation of the OpenBSD 2.3 FTP/CDROMs binaries and the
actual OpenBSD 2.3 release, our team found and fixed some new security
problems (note: most are minor, and in subsystems that are not enabled
by default).  Our continued research into security means we will find
new security problems -- we always provide patches as soon as
possible.  Therefore, we advise regular visits to
	http://www.OpenBSD.org/security.html

- CDROM SALES ----------------------------------------------------------

OpenBSD 2.3 is also available on CDROM.  A 2-CD set which costs $30USD
is available via mail order and from a number of contacts around the
world.  The set includes a colourful booklet which carefully explains
the installation of OpenBSD.  Two cute little stickers are also
included (sorry, but our FTP mirror sites do not support STP, the
Sticker Transfer Protocol).  Profits from the sale of these units are
the primary income source for the OpenBSD project -- in essence
selling these CDROM units ensures that OpenBSD will continue to make
another release six months from now.

For more information on ordering CDROMs, see
	http://www.OpenBSD.org/orders.html

All of our developers strongly urge you to buy a CDROM and support our
future efforts.  As well, other donations to the project would be highly
appreciated, as described in more detail at
	http://www.OpenBSD.org/goals.html#funding

- FTP/HTTP INSTALLS ----------------------------------------------------

If you choose not to buy an OpenBSD CDROM, OpenBSD can be easily
installed via either the FTP or HTTP protocols.  Typically you need a
single small piece of boot media (ie. a boot floppy) and then the rest
of the files can be installed from a number of locations, including
directly off the Internet.  What follows is a simple set of
instructions to ensure that those who install via FTP or HTTP find all
the documentation they need while doing an install (with the CDROMs,
the documentation is easier to find).

1) Read either of the following two files for a list of ftp/http
   mirrors which provide OpenBSD, then choose one near you:
	http://www.OpenBSD.org/ftp.html
	ftp://ftp.OpenBSD.org/pub/OpenBSD/2.3/ftplist

2) Connect to that ftp/http mirror site and go into the
   directory pub/OpenBSD/2.3/, which contains these files and
   directories.  This is a list of what you will see:

	Changelogs/       X11.tar.gz        i386/             powerpc/
	HARDWARE          alpha/            mac68k/           root.mail
	README            amiga/            mvme68k/          sparc/
	README.packages   arc/              packages/         src.tar.gz
	README.ports      ftplist           pmax/             srcsys.tar.gz
	SIZES             hp300/            ports.tar.gz      tools/

   It is quite likely that you will want at LEAST the following files which
   apply to all the architectures OpenBSD is supported on.

	README		- generic README
	HARDWARE	- list of hardware we support
	SIZES		- recommended partition sizes
	README.ports	- description of our "ports" tree
	README.packages	- description of pre-compiled packages
	root.mail	- a copy of root's mail at initial login

3) Read the file README.  It is short, and a quick read will make sure you
   understand what else you need to fetch.

4) Next, go into the directory that applies to your architecture, say it
   is i386.  This is a list of what you will see:

	CKSUM            INSTALL.os2br    comp23.tar.gz    misc23.tar.gz
	INSTALL.ata      INSTALL.pt       etc23.tar.gz     text23.tar.gz
	INSTALL.chs      MD5              floppy23.fs      xbase23.tar.gz
	INSTALL.dbr      base23.tar.gz    game23.tar.gz    xfont23.tar.gz
	INSTALL.i386     boot.catalog*    index.txt        xlink23.tar.gz
	INSTALL.mbr      bsd*             man23.tar.gz     xserv23.tar.gz

   If you are new to OpenBSD, fetch _at least_ the file INSTALL.i386 and
   floppy23.fs; both of which the README file would have told me to fetch.

5) If you are an expert, follow the instructions in the file called README;
   otherwise, use the more complete instructions in the file called
   INSTALL.i386.  INSTALL.i386 may tell you that you need to fetch other
   files.

6) Just in case, take a peek at:
	http://www.OpenBSD.org/errata.html
   This is the page where we talk about the mistakes we made while
   creating the 2.3 release, or the significant bugs we fixed
   post-release which we think our users should have fixes for.  Patches
   and workarounds are clearly described there.

Note: If you end up needing to write a raw floppy using MSDOS, look in
      pub/OpenBSD/2.3/tools for the "rawrite.*" files.

- XFree86 FOR MOST ARCHITECTURES ---------------------------------------

XFree86 has been integrated more closely into the system.  Most of our
architectures ship with XFree86, even the sparc and alpha.  During
installation, you can install XFree86 quite easily.  Be sure to try
out xdm(1) and see how we have customized it for OpenBSD.

- PORTS TREE -----------------------------------------------------------

The OpenBSD ports tree contains automated instructions for building
third party software.  The software has been verified to build and run
on the various OpenBSD architectures.  The 2.3 ports collection
including many of the distribution files, is included on the 2-CD set.
Please see README.ports for more information.

Note: some of the most popular ports, e.g. the apache web server and
several X applications, are now a standard part of OpenBSD.  Also,
other popular ports have been pre-compiled for those who do not desire
to build their own binaries (see PACKAGES, below).

- BINARY PACKAGES WE PROVIDE -------------------------------------------

A number of binary packages are provided.  Please see README.packages
(ftp://ftp.OpenBSD.org/pub/OpenBSD/README.packages) for more details.
We especially recommend the use of the ssh package.

- SYSTEM SOURCE CODE ---------------------------------------------------

The CDROMs contain source code for all the subsystems explained above,
and the README (ftp://ftp.OpenBSD.org/pub/OpenBSD/README) file
explains how to deal with these source files.  For those who are doing
an FTP/HTTP install, the source code for all four subsystems can be
found in the pub/OpenBSD/2.3/ directory:

	X11.tar.gz     ports.tar.gz   src.tar.gz     srcsys.tar.gz

-THANKS ----------------------------------------------------------------

We would like to specially thank Secure Networks, makers of the
Ballista network security auditing tool, for their kind financial
contribution which permitted this release to be made.  Without their
support at the right time, this release probably would not have
happened.  People who care about network security should check their
web site and download their demo software:
	http://www.securenetworks.com

OpenBSD 2.3 also introduces a new daemon image which we will be seeing
a lot more of in the future -- thanks to Erick 'nemickol' Green for
creating it and Dug Song for convincing him to do so.  CDROM artistic
layout by Fred Holliss.  Ports tree and package building by Marco S
Hyman. System builds by Theo de Raadt, Niklas Hallqvist, Todd Fries,
Per Fogelstrom, Mats O Jansson, and Ryan Kereliuk.  ISO-9660 filesystem
layout by Theo de Raadt.

We would also like to thank all the people who sent in bug reports,
bug fixes, donation cheques, hardware we use, and who bought our
previous CDROMs.  Those who did not support us financially have still
helped us with our goal of improving the quality of the software.