ifaliases and netstat

I thought I understood how ifaliases worked. Try as I might I can't get
beyond a SIOCTL error when I attempt it. On one box (Feb -current) I tried
it and it went bonkers. Instead of aliasing the interface it thought the
primary ip for that interface was itself, but with a twist. It made the IP
address 1 greater than what I told it. eg) 170 became 171.

On a different box (2.3 release but not a fresh install) netstat -a hangs
after it get's thru listing the ports open by inetd. (yes brand new kernel)

Does anyone have some ideas?