Re: Qs & Ps

Making, drinking tea and reading an opus magnum from Leo Galambos:
> Hi folks,
re

> 1) on startup (/etc/rc row 386): you call kbd `cat /etc/kbdtype`, so I
line 382 i beleive (as of current) (;

> create this kbdtype file with this text: de
> On boot I can see 'kbd: CONSOLE_SET_KEYMAP: Inappropriate ioctl for
> device', why?
'cuz kbd(8) is working w/ pccons only, and current console driver is pcvt.
consult kcon(1) for details.
i think i can fix that. 10x

> 2) (terminal) some programmes use 'F9-' keys (PC101) for menu
consoles are normally switched by alt-ctrl-f1 -- alt-ctrl-f12
i don't think it's possible to reprogramme pcvt so it will accept another
key-combs w/o source rewriting.

> 3) BSDI21 Netscape News doesn't work (see "Join discussion groups..."
which version of netscape, btw?
i'm using 3.01 w/o any problem.

> 4) (ports) I have to install Xfree86 3.3.2, but I cannot build fvwm, xpm
> etc., because they are "in 2.3". I understand you integrate them, but I
> do not like this way :). Why do you remove them from ports? Couldn't you
> change your point of view?
because they are in the xfree already (;

cu