Re: PPPD as Server

>I have read over the man pages to PPPD but I am still a bit fuzzy on how I
>would set it up as a single line server over a modem. I didn't see
>anything in the FAQ, are there places I can go to find examples maybe?
>
>Nick
>
>--
>Nick Ellson
>Customer Support
>Imagenation           HTTP://www.imagenation.com

The main options (there will be more) you'll probably require are :-

auth          Require the  peer  to  authenticate  itself  before
              allowing network packets to be sent or received.

passive
              Enables the "passive" option in the LCP.  With this
              option, pppd will attempt to initiate a connection;
              if  no  reply  is received from the peer, pppd will
              then just wait passively for  a  valid  LCP  packet
              from the peer (instead of exiting, as it does with-
              out this option).

<local_IP_address>:<remote_IP_address>
              Set the local and/or remote interface IP addresses.
              Either one may be omitted.  The IP addresses can be
              specified with a host name or in decimal dot  nota-
              tion   (e.g.  150.234.56.78).   The  default  local
              address is the (first) IP  address  of  the  system
              (unless  the  noipdefault  option  is  given).  The
              remote address will be obtained from  the  peer  if
              not  specified  in  any  option.   Thus,  in simple
              cases, this option is not  required.   If  a  local
              and/or  remote  IP  address  is specified with this
              option, pppd will not accept a different value from
              the  peer in the IPCP negotiation, unless the ipcp-
              accept-local and/or ipcp-accept-remote options  are
              given, respectively.

login         Use the system password database for authenticating
              the peer using PAP, and record the user in the sys-
              tem wtmp file.

proxyarp
              Add an entry to this system's ARP [Address  Resolu-
              tion  Protocol]  table  with  the IP address of the
              peer and the Ethernet address of this system.

require-pap
              Require  the  peer to authenticate itself using PAP
              [Password Authentication Protocol]  authentication.

silent 	      With  this option, pppd will not transmit LCP pack-
              ets to initiate a  connection  until  a  valid  LCP
	      packet  is received from the peer (as for the `pas-
              sive' option with ancient versions of pppd).

Set the above options up in the pppd options file /etc/ppp/options.ttyname

If you then issue the command for each of your dial-in lines

pppd /dev/ttyname

making sure a getty is not running on those tty's, then pppd should sit
quitely until its see's a lcp packet from the remote machine after the
modems have communicated. This will not work for clients that require
scripting for authentication. That you can add with other options. The
Windoze95 dialup client supports pap as default so should have no problems
as does macppp and should opentransport ppp client ;-)

Create your users on the system as you would normally, and if you don't
want them to be able to telnet into the dialin machine, etc, supply a shell
of /sbin/nologin or whatever.

I haven't tried this as yet, just use pppd to dial out, fell free to
correct any mistakes. Hope this helps.

Catch ya,

Ian McWilliam.
Technical Officer,