Re: PPP error output

>Ahhhhh!! Now the concept of IP packet forwarding betwen to interfaces
>never occured to me. That explains why the other workstations on the same
>network as my BSD dial in machine can't see the dialed in user (if infact
>OpenBSD/PPPD treats the dialin as a new interface).

A 'ifconfig -a' will show you all of your network interfaces.  OpenBSD,
like all other unix varients,  should treat ppp0, ppp1, ppp2,... as
different interfaces.

>Great, that's two more
>man pages I will add to my research and looks like I am in for a Kernel
>recompile <shiver> I have done this a few times on Red Hat Linux, this
>will be a first for BSD ;) But I am sure the docs are great on this.

It's actually very easy.  The OpenBSD faq says to:

cd /usr/src/sys/arch/`machine`/conf
cp GENERIC MYKERNEL
vi MYKERNEL
config MYKERNEL
cd ../compile/MYKERNEL
make depend && make
cp /bsd /bsd.old
cp bsd /bsd

which isn't quite right.  It should really be:

cd /usr/src/sys/conf
cp GENERIC MYKERNEL
vi MYKERNEL
cd /usr/src/sys/arch/`machine`/conf
cp GENERIC MYKERNEL
vi MYKERNEL
config MYKERNEL
cd ../compile/MYKERNEL
make depend && make
cp /bsd /bsd.old
cp bsd /bsd

Keeping in mind that you only have to comment out the options you do not
want and uncomment the options you do want AND the line
in /usr/src/sys/arch/`machine`/conf/MYKERNEL
should be changed from
include "../../../conf/GENERIC"
to include "../../../conf/MYKERNEL"
Now would be a good time to get rid of a lot of "junk" options, like CD
ROM drivers if you don't have a CD ROM or SCSI drivers if you don't have
any SCSI devices.

>Should my gateway on the 95 box be the IP of my BSD server?

YES!!!  All the other machines, I think, should also have the ip of the
BSD box as a gateway (it should be possible to have several gateways
defined at the same time).

Aaron Jackson           jackson@msrce.howard.edu