Cyrus Imapd

Hello people,

 I've been looking for an alternative to our evil internal mail/Exchange
server. I decided that IMAP would probably offer the closest(If not better)
service than exchange.

 I noticed that the only IMAP daemon available from the PORTS tree is
UW-IMAP. Now I've never played with mail servers in my life but the SECURITY
in /pkg scared me a little bit. I decided to look around and found the
Carnegie Mellon University CYRUS project. Is there a reason why this version
hasn't made it into the ports collection yet? Also, is it subject to the
same kind of exploits as UW-IMAPD?

I managed to compile it(Actually the process was quite painless). After
installing TCL8.0, the Cyrus SASL and the IMAP server and following the
instructions in the install docs to the letter I get the following (From the
imtest tool):

root@devbed(/home/drbones/cyrus/cyrus-imapd-1.6.24)#imtest -m LOGIN -p imap
localhost
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * OK devbed Cyrus IMAP4 v1.6.24 server ready
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ NAMESPACE UIDPLUS
X-NON-HIERARCHICAL-RENAME NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT ID
S: C01 OK Completed

Password: + go ahead
L01 NO Login failed: generic failure
Authenticated.
Security strength factor: 0

* BAD Invalid tag
. logout
* BYE LOGOUT received
. OK Completed
Connection closed.

Looks like it either fails to look the name up in the pwd database or that
it can't relate to the LOGIN facility in a proper manner.

Anyhow, I've tried recompiling with different scenarios (Enabling/Disabling
Kerberos and the other authentication options) but I always get the exact
same result as above.

Any help would be appreciated, and maybe we could turn this into a port
after having solved these problems.

Thanks,

Patrick Ethier
Product Development