[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
JDK1.3 and motif...
Hmm. There's a really annoying behavior which I had noticed, and put off
until I noticed a pattern.
Specifically, whilst running Netbeans under jdk1.3 over redhat_base
emulation, netbeans will occasionally freeze. The windows will move around,
and all the window dressings can be activated (except to close/quit
windows), but the windows won't redraw, and as far as I can tell, it won't
accept keyboard or mouse input.
Now where I noticed the pattern is when I use nedit. And when I thought
about it, it seemed to be when I used Netscape 4.x as well. I wonder if X
isn't doing some motif clobbering, as jdk1.3 is linked against a motif
library if I'm not mistaken.
Having said that, the actual Netbeans widget is using the lightweight (ie.
pure java, no native code involved) Swing GUI, however the primitives for
drawing the window frames are AWT, ie. native code using motif primitives if
I understand correctly.
There is likely nothing we can do about it, unless it's an XFree86 4.x bug
that I'm tripping over. However, ultimately it goes to show that we need a
darned native OpenBSD java implementation. <sigh>