Hylafax ?

Sorry, guys, I'm new in here.
My question is about Hylafax. I used the stable (3.3) ports and found a
problem with the creation of the FIFO-s. A problem that I could
reproduce.
Also, the suggested
/usr/local/lib/fax/hylafax.sh.sample
seems not quite complete to me: It starts the fax-queue, but not the
hfaxd.

Is there an easy way (archive, etc) to find out if this has been
addressed ?
I read a few man pages, but am still not clear how patches are
processed and introduced into stable - or do they go to current only ?

Thanks,

Uwe