Re: No more ports of unfree software

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 07:26:50PM -0400, Jolan Luff wrote:
> I use the best software for the job, regardless of licensing.  I know
> some OpenBSD developers still use the djb tools even though they've been
> removed from the ports tree.  What was the story with that removal?
> Isn't that what PERMIT_*=No is for?  Did DJB e-mail someone and
> explicitly say that there couldn't be an OpenBSD port?  I recall hearing
> something to that effect.  Anyway, see:

DJB stuff is a very special case.
DJB doesn't want his software patched at all.
There is no actual licence in his software, and he refuse to set one.
The fact is, you only found stuff on his web site. There is nothing
reasonable bundled with the source.

So basically, this is very hazy legal stuff on one side. And DJB himself
made it clear (as far as he can) that he doesn't like his software tweaked
to install according to the OpenBSD ports tree wishes.

Both these points, and a total inability to clarify the situation with DJB
himself, more or less forced the removal.