Re: No more ports of unfree software

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 09:32:10AM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> You are completely and utterly wrong.
>
> Copyright law grants the author very detailed rights until that author
> gives them up.
>
> We need to be granted those rights.
>
> I am absolutely astounded that consider yourself an OpenBSD developer,
> and have not picked up this before.

I have not had to deal with licensing issues before.  I now know what I
need to in order to continue rooting out issues in ports.  This means
looking at every license for 2000+ ports and making sure the PERMIT
lines are appropriate.

It is obvious that other OpenBSD developers have not picked up this
before either.  You should be absolutely astounded that the very first
port in the tree, and the very first port I looked at, archivers/arc,
was incorrectly marked.

qmail was PERMIT_*=Yes for 12 months.  Then it was marked
PERMIT_PACKAGE_*= No for ~3.5 months, then it was removed as part of the
licensing "audit" that followed after ipf.  Some audit, if the very
first port in the tree was not looked at.

Perhaps it would be best if you didn't insult me as an individual, but
as part of the porters group since I am not the only one who doesn't
understand licensing as deeply as you.