Re: No more ports of unfree software

On Tuesday 27 May 2003 12:13 pm, Rick Pettit wrote:
> On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 05:08:24PM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> > I agree with you in this respect (educating the authors, etc.),
> > such as the IPFilter issue - but keep your fingers out of the ports
> > tree. It _is_ there to make users able to run third-party software,
> > unfree as well as just not in the base system.
> > We've had netscape for ages. (And no midnight commander, wtf?)
>
> Are there really that many people out there running OpenBSD that
> can't download and build 3rd party software _themselves_? I am
> astounded to see this much objection to removing ports with bogus
> licenses.
>
> Sheesh, learn to build software yourself. It's just not that hard...
>
> -Rick

Its not about building software.  Some of the ports are not at all
trivial, and even then, do you want to waste the time patching stupid
software that makes dumb assumptions?  Why not just use freebsd or
netbsd instead and still get the benefits of a ports tree?

The beauty of ports is that its tracked.  I can pkg_delete what I
installed from ports, it won't delete modified files when I do it.  I
already know it works, other people are using it, and if I have a
problem, its likely I can find someone willing to help.

Adam