Re: No more ports of unfree software

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 14:28, Rick Pettit wrote:

> If it was not a question conflicting with the OpenBSD project goals I would
> not have put in my 2 cents, but since it is

This is the problem with this little sub-topic we're on.  Several don't
think ports set with PERMIT_* set to "no" conflict with the Goals.  If
it is "ruled" as such then there it is... so be it.

But I still don't think it does. :)

> P.S. Are you actually suggesting that a significant portion of the OpenBSD
>      users out there would stop running <someport> if it was removed from the
>      ports tree, even if they loved it and used it all the time? How do those
>      people get by, day-to-day?

Don't think of it as "I can't have software I once could" think in terms
of "I'd like to run "foo" but it breaks on OpenBSD and I don't know
enough {C|make|C++|shell|perl|python|whatever} to make it work.  I wish
there was a central place that people who know that sort of thing would
place it... like the ports tree or something."  :)

Marc