Re: No more ports of unfree software

Christian Weisgerber <naddy@openbsd.org> wrote:

> I think after the hackathon there is a fair bit of consensus among
> porters that we want to put the brakes on ports of software that we
> can't at least put up for FTP. I would like to remind everybody of the
> OpenBSD Project goals (see goals.html).
>
> We don't want to import any more ports with PERMIT_*_FTP != Yes. There
> may be good reasons for exceptions and these can be individually
> evaluated, but in general we want to just say, no thanks. And if you
> prepare to submit a new port, please look at the license.
>
> A re-evaluation of the existing ports that suffer from restrictive
> licensing is also in order.

Since I also do rpms for the mandrake project here's my two ct. Anything
that might cause `legal problems' for mandrake has been moved out of
the cvs-tree and moved to a sepparate project:

  The Penguin Liberation Front: http://plf.zarb.org

A quick look at the software offered over there
ftp://ftp.easynet.fr/plf/src will show that anything dubious is moved
over there. For example a kde-theme that resemble apples aqua-look.

Perhaps somebody private would like to set up an alternative cvs-ports
tree for ports like this.

# Han
--
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanb/software