[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Plese Help With Installation
- To: misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
- Subject: Plese Help With Installation
- From: Jerry Alexandratos <alexandr_(_at_)_hawk_(_dot_)_pearson_(_dot_)_udel_(_dot_)_edu>
- Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 22:12:25 -0400
- Organization: Broken Toys Unlimited
- Reply-to: alexandr_(_at_)_hawk_(_dot_)_pearson_(_dot_)_udel_(_dot_)_edu
You know, as sad as this sounds, I think I need a little hand holding.
I'm not a total newbie to Unix or BSD in particular (I've been using
various flavors of SunOS, IRIX, Linux, and FreeBSD for a little over 7
years now). But I'll be honest, I'm not up to snuff on
Here's the current situation. I've got a Western Digital WDC2100H.
It's a 1.2G IDE drive. It's a beauty and it's put up with a lot over
the past year (That's how long I've been running FreeBSD on it).
Now, originally I had partitioned it so that the first 200M was a DOS
partition and the rest was for FreeBSD. All this was done via various
fdisk programs and no partitions were split or resized with fips or
anything like that.
Anyway, DOS is going the way of the dodo. I want to install OpenBSD on
that 200 megs. I figure I can always mount the FreeBSD partition and
run X6.1 from there with FreeBSD emulation.
So, I used fdisk from within FreeBSD to kill the DOS partition (am I
brave or stupid?) I rebooted and installed the OpenBSD kernel disk and
then the install disk. I entered all of the information, and I got an
error saying that the disk was invalid and it couldn't be disklabeled
(sorry, I'm paraphrasing here).
Obviously something here isn't right. Now, I've got nothing against
disklabeling the partition from within FreeBSD and just untaring the
files onto it. Is that possible?
Anyway, here's what I've got. The geometry of the disk is as follows
cylinders: 525 heads: 64 sectors: 63 (4032 blks/cyl)
Partition 0 (the old DOS partition, now just crap)
start:63, size 411201, flag0
If you need any more information, please let me know. And I thank you
all in advance for any advice, pointers, prayers, sacrifices, etc...
that you may be able to provide.
8) Jerry Alexandratos % "Nothing inhabits my (8
8) darkstar_(_at_)_strauss_(_dot_)_udel_(_dot_)_edu % thoughts, and oblivion (8
8) darkstar_(_at_)_canary_(_dot_)_pearson_(_dot_)_udel_(_dot_)_edu % drives my desires." (8
Visit your host, monkey.org