[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Theo wins FSF award
- To: misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
- Subject: Re: Theo wins FSF award
- From: Stephen Marley <stephen_(_dot_)_marley_(_at_)_catwoman_(_dot_)_cl-is_(_dot_)_com>
- Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 01:29:04 +0000
- Mail-followup-to: misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 05:57:09PM -0700, Peter Valchev wrote:
> > >"Theo's leadership of OpenBSD, his selfless commitment to Free Software
> > >and his advancement of network security, were sighted by this years
> > >award committee."
> > >
> > >*cringe*
> > >
> > >Can't they even spell "cited" correctly? Wow. I guess not.
> > The word they mispelled was "slighted", if it is true that his OpenBSD
> > and network security work were overlooked.
> Wow, both of you guys don't know about dictionaries? The original word
> is correct.
Nope, it's "cited". As in to commend meritoriously or formally honour.
It's from the latin "citare" meaning to call on or summons. (All from
The correct use of "sighted" would be: "Theo was sighted in a Dublin pub
wiping his arse with a gnu patterned patchwork quilt". :-)
Visit your host, monkey.org