[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Buglet in restarting install
- To: tech_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
- Subject: Re: Buglet in restarting install
- From: mcbinc_(_at_)_world_(_dot_)_std_(_dot_)_com (Monty C Brandenberg)
- Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 14:42:01 -0400 (EDT)
- Delivery-date: Mon Sep 21 11:44:27 1998
"Marc Espie wrote:"
> The install.i386 uses the kernel ring buffer to obtain the disk name.
> Thanks to my fiddling around, there was an overflow, and that name was
> no longer available.
The same design problem contributes to installation failures on the
alpha as500. The chipset support isn't quite ready in 2.3 and
numerous messages are generated which cycle the acd messages out
of the buffer. Installation script then can't find the install cd.
Not that the resulting installation would run anyway but I don't
particularly like relying on information being retained in a finite
Monty Brandenberg, Software Consultant MCB, Inc.
mcbinc_(_at_)_world_(_dot_)_std_(_dot_)_com_(_dot_)_MAPS P.O. Box 426188
mcbinc_(_at_)_ne_(_dot_)_mediaone_(_dot_)_net_(_dot_)_MAPS Cambridge, MA 02142-0021
Visit your host, monkey.org