Subject: Please Restore Your Account Access

From: "service" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 05:21:49 +0200

Dear valued PayPal® member:

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the
PayPal system. We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your
account.We requested information from you for the following reason:

A recent review of your account determined that we require some additional
information from you in order to provide you with secure service.

Case ID Number: PP-000-000-000
This is a second reminder to log in to PayPal as soon as possible. Once you
log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access.

In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement, your account access will remain
limited until the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately, if access to your
account remains limited for an extended period of time, it may result in
further limitations or eventual account closure. We encourage you to log in
to your PayPal account as soon as possible to help avoid this.

To review your account and some or all of the information that PayPal used
to make its decision to limit your account access, please visit the
Resolution Center. If, after reviewing your account information, you seek
further clarification regarding your account access.

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand
that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your
account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

To update your PayPal® records click on the following link:
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run

Thank You.
Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department