Subject: Urgent Security Notification.

From: LaSalle Bank <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 05:29:56 +0800 (SGT)

Dear Customer:

We've noticed that you experienced trouble logging into LaSalle Online
on 05/1/2005.

After three unsuccessful attempts to access your account, your LaSalle
Online Profile has been locked. This has been done to secure your
accounts
and to protect your private information. LaSalle Bank is committed to
making sure that your online transactions are secure.

You may unlock your profile by going to:
http://www.lasallebank.com/online_services/asp.html

If you're still having trouble, online support is available for you at:

http://www.lasallebank.com/online_services/asp.html

If you should have any additional questions or concerns, please contact
Customer Service at:
[email-masked]

Thank You for using LaSalle Online !

LaSalle Online Reference Number: 284386

©2005 LaSalle Bank Corporation. All rights reserved. LaSalle Bank N.A. Member FDIC.