Subject: ***SPAM*** Please Restore Your Account Access (updated monthly)

From: "PayPal Inc." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 16:26:13 -0600

...

Dear Member,

As part of our security measures we regularly screen activity,
in the PayPal System. During a recent screening,we noticed an issue
regarding your account.

For your protection, we have limited access to your account until additional
security measures can be completed. We apologize for any inconvenience this may
cause.

To review your account and some or all of the information that PayPal used to
make its decision to limit your account access, please visit the Resolution
Center. If, after reviewing your account information, you seek further
clarification regarding your account access, please contact PayPal after you
Log In after clicking the link below.

http://www.paypal.com

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this
is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for
any inconvenience.

*****************************************************************************
Sincerely,PayPal Account Review Department
*****************************************************************************

Please do not reply to this message. For any inquiries, contact Member Service.