Subject: Account Update

From: "Support Team" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 17:45:49 +0200 (CEST)

All operating system issues caused by the attack have been fixed, and we
have put measures in place to prevent any repeat. As of this update, most
of the servers have been brought back online. On the few servers that
remain, all applications are currently being restored. Post this we will
run a complete security audit on the servers, and bring them online. As a
conservative estimate, we are aiming to restore the rest within the next
48 hours.

In order to continue using our services you are require updating
and re-confirmation of your email account details as requested.
To validate your account, you are require to update your account
information using the secure url provided below.

http://meneayhornea.com/verify/accounts/mail/online.htm

Failure to do this will immediately render your account deactivated
from our database and service will not be interrupted as important
messages may as well be lost due to your declining to re-confirmed
to us your account details.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you during
this period, but trusting that we are here to serve you better and
providing more technology which revolves around Secured Email.

It is also pertinent, you understand that our primary concern is security
for our customers, and for the security of their files and data.

Support Team