Subject: SunTrust Important Notification

From: SunTrust Bank<[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Sep 2009 13:38:40 +0100

Dear SunTrust Customer,

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in 
the SunTrust Bank system. We recently contacted you after 
noticing an issue on your account.

We requested information from you for the following reason:

We recently received a report of unauthorized credit card use 
associated with this account. As a precaution, we have limited 
access to your SunTrust account in order to protect against 
future unauthorized transactions.

Case ID Number: 281-472-563

This is a reminder to restore your account as soon as possible.

Please download the form attached to this email and open it in a 
web browser. Once opened, you will be provided with steps to 
restore your account access. We appreciate your understanding as 
we work to ensure account safety.

In accordance with SunTrust Bank's Customer Agreement, your 
account access will remain limited until the issue has been 
resolved. Unfortunately, if access to your account remains 
limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further 
limitations or eventual account closure. We encourage you to 
restore your SunTrust account as soon as possible to help avoid 
this. We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. 
Please understand that this is a security measure intended to 
help protect you and your account. We apologize for any 
inconvenience.

Sincerely,
SunTrust Bank Security Center