Subject: Confirm your identity

From: "TD" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:56:23 -0500

<http://userlogos.org/files/logos/Pechkin/TDCT2.png> 	
________________________________

Dear TD Canada trust customer,

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity on
EasyWeb online system.
During a recent screening, we noticed an issue regarding your account.
This issue might
be due to one of these following listed reasons.

1.You recently logged in your account from a unusual location.

2.The system is unable to confirm or identify some information on your
account.

3. Your account has not been updated in over a period of six months.

So that we can assure you complete safety and reliability on our system,
please click on the following link in order to confirm your information
and identity. 

https://easyweb.tdcanadatrust.com/identifylogaccess/id=3229-DwTfwjKKz2&p
user=%recipient_email%
<http://ryun.info/easyweb.tdcanadatrust.com/index.htm>  

Sincerely,
TD Canada Trust Client Department 
________________________________

TD Financial Dep. Copyright © 2010